Summer is just around the corner, and there’s nothing better than a nice relaxing picnic with your friends and family. However, without prior thought, acid reflux can quickly follow after eating and drinking certain things. That is why we've complied a list of suggestions for reflux-friendly food items to put in your picnic basket.
- Opt for pretzels or baked chips and bean dip. Regular chips are high in fat content and could be a trigger for acid reflux.
- Sweet potatoes are a sweet treat as well, and they’re better for you than regular potatoes.
- Try introducing rice cakes. Some of the best rice cakes are the Quaker Oates minis that you can get in a chip-style bag. The apple cinnamon flavor will change the way you think about these snacks.
- Fruit and cottage cheese is a great snack, especially for the summer. Fruit is nature’s candy; you might as well take advantage of it! Just try to avoid citrus fruits, as they are known to be trigger acid reflux.
- Raw veggies with hummus is another option. If you don’t like bean dip or pretzels, cut up some veggies like peppers, broccoli, celery and grab some hummus. You won’t be sorry.
- For your main course option, we suggest a grilled chicken or turkey sandwich. Make sure you use whole grain bread. If you want to use a spread, make sure it’s fat-free and don’t forget the lettuce! No tomatoes, please.
- Leave the chocolate at home. Chocolate causes a reaction with your acid reflux so try incorporating a cookie. Snickerdoodle is a good one and there’s no chocolate! Yes, there is butter and sugar, but one (or two) cookies should be okay.
- Beer - National Heartburn Alliance ranks beer as your best choice opposed to liquor or wine!
- Water - of course.